tidal.20 Submissions now closed
Devonport Regional Gallery
CITY OF DEVONPORT TASMANIAN ART AWARD
MAJOR ACQUISITIVE AWARD $15.000
PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD $1.000
ENTRIES CLOSE 16.09.2020
EXHIBITION DATES 05.12.2020 – 31.01.2021
tidal.20: City of Devonport Tasmanian Art Award is a biennial, acquisitive award exhibited at the Devonport Regional Gallery. Artists are invited to submit 2 or 3-dimensional artworks that reflect on the theme of tidal – the natural, cultural, personal or political concerns related to the sea and coastal regions.
To enter, Artists must identify as Tasmanian by either birth, or by having demonstrated a strong and ongoing association with Tasmania for no less than two years, or the artist can adequately demonstrate a strong connection to Tasmania, which should be evident in the work entered in the Award.
THE AWARD AIMS TO:
- Encourage experimentation within and across media.
- Present a stimulating and diverse exhibition of contemporary Tasmanian art practice for the Devonport Community and visitors to the region.
- Promote excellence in contemporary visual art that reflects on natural, cultural, personal or political concerns related to the sea, coastal regions and coastal communities.
The $15,000 Major Acquisitive Award is sponsored by the Devonport City Council and the Friends of the Devonport Regional Gallery. The Award will be presented at the opening of the exhibition.
$1,000 non-acquisitive People’s Choice Award is sponsored by One Agency Collins Real Estate. The Award is selected by the viewers of tidal. The Award will be announced at the conclusion of the exhibition.
SELECTION AND JUDGING
This is a selected Award.
The judging panel consists of three Tasmanian recognised art experts, who will select the finalist’s works and will then determine the winner of the Major Award.
This year’s judges are:
Director of Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery
Associate Lecturer in Art, School of Creative Arts UTAS
Honorary Associate, Visual Arts and Design, Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery
Application Deadline: Wednesday 16 September 2020
Finalists Announced: By Sunday 25 October
Delivery of selected artworks: From Thursday 19 November to Wednesday 25 November
Exhibition Opening & Announcement of Winning Artist: Friday 4 December 2020
Exhibition Dates: 5 December 2020 – 31 January 2021
Judges’ floor talks Saturday 5 December 2020: TBC
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Entrants must submit work in accordance with the conditions set out in this application form. If these conditions are not met the application will not be considered.
- Entrants must be identified as a Tasmanian by either birth, or have been a resident of Tasmania for no less than 24 months prior to 16 September 2020, or the artist needs to adequately demonstrate a strong connection to Tasmania, which should be evident in the work entered in the Award.
- Submitted work must have been completed in the 12 months prior to 4 December 2020.
- Entries representing partnerships between individuals will be accepted on the understanding that each partner’s contribution is deemed equal.
- Devonport City Council employees and members of their families are ineligible to enter the Award.
All entries must include:
- Completed entry form.
- One A4 page biography.
- Artist statement of 150 words or less relative to the theme of tidal.
- 2D works: One reproduction of applicant’s work on USB, or email attachment as a JPEG or TIFF 25 cm shortest side at 300dpi (max file size 10MB).
- 3D works: Two reproductions of applicant’s work on USB, or email attachment as a JPEG or TIFF 25 cm shortest side at 300dpi (each max file size 10MB).
Video artists can submit one work on USB as a MP4 file. Image file must be labelled: First name_Surname_Title of art work_Year
- $35.00 entry fee (Visa/Mastercard) or Bank Transfer.
DIMENSIONS AND MEDIUM OF WORKS
All media types are allowed.
2D works must be no larger than (h) 200 cm x (w) 200 cm x (d) 20 cm including frame.
3D works must be self-supportive and no larger than 2 cubic metres.
Moving images as MP4 files provided on a USB are eligible, and if selected, will be displayed on a monitor screen or gallery wall not exceeding (h) 200 cm x (w) 200 cm.
Entrants who are selected for the finalist exhibition are wholly responsible for the delivery and collection of works to and from the Devonport Regional Gallery within the specified dates. It is the sole responsibility of finalists as to whether works are to be delivered by hand, by commercial courier, or by Australia Post to the exhibition venue.
The insurance of art works in transit to and from the exhibition venue is the sole responsibility of the selected finalists. While stored prior to judging and while on exhibition in the Devonport Regional Gallery, insurance will be provided by the Devonport City Council.
The Devonport City Council will publicly recognise the authorship of works included in the final exhibition and in any publicity and/or any future promotion of the Award. The rights of reproduction for artwork given to the Devonport City Council are limited to the above purpose only.
$35.00 per entry